Title: Costume Shop and Wardrobe Supervisor
Reports to: Artistic Director
Supervises: Volunteer and Contracted Costume Shop Personnel
General Purpose: To support the mission and vision of 6th Street Playhouse by overseeing all day to day Costume Shop & Wardrobe activities including personnel, equipment, supplies, inventory, maintenance of workroom and costume storage areas, supporting all Playhouse productions, and authorizing local costume rentals.
The Costume Shop & Wardrobe Supervisor, assisted by the Artistic Director as needed, works to establish and maintain expense budgets; supervise designers; supervise hired and/or volunteer costume shop personnel, including makeup and wig contractors. The Costume Shop & Wardrobe Supervisor is also responsible for overseeing all wardrobe needs at the theater for all rehearsals and performances, including repairs, laundering of costumes, scheduling of dry cleaning, and strike and restock of in-house costumes/return of rentals.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interviews, aides in hiring/securing volunteers, and supervises personnel of costume shop
- Supervises all Costume Shop, Wardrobe, and wig and makeup personnel
- Attends fittings when possible to ensure consistency and construction standards
- Manages day to day expenses of costume shop
- Works directly with Costume Designers to balance budget necessities and design integrity
- Attends all dress rehearsals
- Communicates with Production Stage Manager regarding fittings, rehearsal needs, and performer requests
- Collaborates with Production Stage Manager on backstage layout, and coordinates all backstage costume activities
- Maintains a positive and communicative atmosphere in the Costume Shop and mediates any conflicts among personnel or with designers
- Coordinates shopping for all locally purchased production specific costume items, as needed by the production/designers
- Manages and invoices all local and individual costume rentals
- Drapes, patterns, sews and designs, as required by the needs of the production/designers
The Costume Shop and Wardrobe Supervisor should possess some or all of the following qualities:
- Creative Networking: Develop new and unique relationships with other costumers/costume shops that will support the productions of 6th Street Playhouse, insuring that that artistic standards of our productions are of the highest quality;
- Ethical: Understand ethical behavior and business practices and ensure individual behavior is consistent with these standards and the values of 6th Street Playhouse.
- Relationship Builder: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally;
- Communicator: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Team Player: Work cooperatively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance our effectiveness;
- Organized: Determine strategies, set priorities, develop a work schedule and monitor progress towards goals and staying within costume production budgets.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience;
- Knowledge and experience in costume construction, use of sewing machines, and hand stitching techniques;
- Familiar with performing arts production deadlines, schedules and timeframes;
- Proficiency in the use of computer software, including word processing, databases, spreadsheets, E-mail and internet;
- Minimum of two years costuming/clothing construction experience is required, preferably with a performing arts organization.
The Costume Shop and Wardrobe Supervisor is a part-time, Independent Contractor position. Though it is expected that most of the work will be performed in the Costume Shop, regular meetings with the Artistic Director (and others) at the 6th Street Playhouse will be necessary. The monthly payment amount is $500.00 for an average workweek estimated to be approximately 10-20 hours.
For consideration, please mail, email or fax cover letter and resume – by September 30, 2012 – to:
Craig A. Miller, Artistic Director
6th Street Playhouse
52 W. 6th Street
Santa Rosa, CA 95401
Fax (707) 523-3544. Email: email@example.com (no phone calls, please)